Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ever Wonder??

When I was very young, I was taught to eat all the food on my plate. I wonder why my parents would tell me that there were "starving children in China" and I would respond, "Why don't you give it to them then?" Now as an adult, I struggle with my weight. One of the hardest things in the world is for me to leave food on my plate when I am full. I have made it my mission to NOT make my children clean their plate. I do require that they eat a little of everything and they are not allowed to eat after the meal is over but when they say they are full, I allow them to be done eating. I don't want them to have the same struggle with weight that I do.

I was very active as a young child, riding my bike, walking everywhere I went, playing basketball and football with my brothers, sister and dad, sledding in the winter. I was so active that I really could eat just about anything and not gain weight. It gave me a false sense that I would be like that forever. When I began to gain weight I didn't even see it until it was too late. Now I struggle to get active. I can see myself walking or running or playing sports with my kids but just can't seem to muster up the energy to really do it. Like a circle, I need energy to to get active and getting active will give me energy.

It takes everything out of me just to get my kids to go outside today. The kids complain that they don't have friends but they won't do what it takes to meet the new friends. So many days I dream of days past when entertainment meant being with friends and enjoying each others company. Spending a day riding bikes, catching crawdads from the creek or climbing the trees gave children pleasure. The simple pleasures of life are needing to be found again in this life. I wonder if I can help my kids find it?

1 comment:

  1. Well just know that you can get there eventually. It is such a slow process, but definitely attainable. I worry about the same things... that I won't have enough energy to keep up with my kids. I worry about it a lot. I was on the right track before this pregnancy to getting back in shape, and I will continue it after the baby is born too.

    ReplyDelete